Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Home again

Sorry I didn't make it last night. I was completely disoriented when I got here and the whole world had changed. For one thing this is the first vacation that I've taken since I moved here and somehow it felt like I should have been going home to Noho instead. Plus, although I've been renting the place for months now, I spend little time here so it doesn't have that familiar sense to it. Heck I haven't finished unpacking yet.

That is unlikely to happen today. The sunburn of course got surprisingly worse overnight. It's so bizarre, I haven't burned in 15 years and looking at myself naked in the mirror is startling. Only my face is tan. I'm ridiculously red everywhere else. It's better today but my back is completely out so I'm still moving slow.

My whole yard changed while I was away as well. The trees, which were barely out of bud, all leafed fully out and my lawn sprouted all kinds of tall grasses and new flowers. There's a tall purple spiky flower that is really nice. I still don't want to cut it down but it's clear I need to get someone with a mower after all. It's a shame because the bluets are simply thriving but there's just too many grasses. The birds at least were comfortingly the same. The cardinals have already stopped by to say hello. I'm struck by how many of their songs I recognized - so melodic after the insane cackling of the black headed seagulls.

Meanwhile, I was appalled to find the cable company had taken the Weather Station off my package and replaced it with some other inane station in the interim. I think it's related to Fox. Even worse, I got a forwarded letter from Noho telling me my dentist had unexpected died a month ago. I can hardly believe it. He was a young man and looked so healthy. I think I was one of his first five patients when he took over the practice and drummed up so much business for him that by the end it took three months to get an appointment. He was single handedly responsible for my getting over my fear of dentists. I'll miss him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home