Friday, April 29, 2005

The Point

I didn't get to the national seashore. The ferry system appears to be a bit dicey this time of year and it was too cold for beachwalking anyway. I did make it to the beach at the end of the island though. Don't be too impressed - I drove. The beach itself was quite impressive - it gets really big and you can indeed find bigger shells there although I didn't see any conch. I have a feeling there's heavy competition on the shelling down there among the long term residents. Nice houses though. I'd consider renting a place down there if I could put together a group group big enough to make the rent worthwhile.

In any event, I had a nice ride yesterday in the funny fancy car and actually made it to the sound side of the island. It was pretty unimpressive but nice. A lot of birds around the public access dock and the houses were very nice as well. You can get some great deals in that section of town.

I went to four stores and I'm already shopped out. I found a few funny gifts and also got a nice dress for four bucks at the cheezy tourist store Wings. These places are always huge with tons of cheap junk but they're a well organized chain. They even have their own theme music with songs about the store piped in overhead and damn if it doesn't get you bopping a little in the aisles.

No nature sightings of interest on my outing but this was a weird coincidence. I drove down to the point as I said and also swung by the Coast Guard station while I down there. You couldn't get in but I went by real slow and this was this military looking type guy jogging behind me. Later that evening a big ass military helicopter literally buzzed the trailer park next door and I swear it hovered for a good half a minute where it had a direct view into the condo. I of course was thrilled and would have attempted to motion them down to the beach so I could get a ride except that I didn't think they would be able to see me in the dusk. It was very cool.

Meanwhile, the sun has unexpectedly come out just now so I'm on my way down to the beach to catch a few rays and try to decide what to do about housing here. I'm weighing the advantages of moving to the hotel down the road over the convenience of staying put. One of the biggest factors of course is I would have to give up the computer here and be tied to internet cafes of which there are few and they have bad hours.

Decisions, decisions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home