Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Afternoon Delight

The hot shower got me going and the wind died and the sun unexpectedly came out so I never stopped. My one hour walk turned into three including a stop at the Bogue Pier. Nice pier, it has an elevated observation deck at the end and it's free.

I got a little seasick up on the deck. There's a definite sense of movement up there that's not comfortable. Although I'm certain it's perfectly sturdy, it kind of feels like it might fall down at any moment. It was worth going up though. I saw someone catch a baby manta ray. Then on the way out I saw a baby shark get beached in the tide pool. One of the surfers picked him up by the tail and took him somewhere. I suspect to be cooked for dinner although I saw a sign saying it was illegal for the fishermen to catch them.

I was hoping to catch an early bite and a beer at the restaurant myself but of course with my impeccable timing, they were closed today - I had to settle for a V8 and bag of chips from the concession stand. Nonetheless, it was a nice walk and I saw my first pelicans and my first plovers since I've been here. The best was the puppy though.

I was absorbed in scanning the flotsam and jetsom as I was walking along when I felt my foot hit something soft and squishy. I instinctively pulled up thank God because when I looked down, it was the cutest little cocker spaniel puppy that was moving so fast in his excitement that he looked almost liquid. He belonged to a guy about my age and two young kids. They had another dog as well, a really old and overweight black Lab. The Lab chased a tennis ball while the little guy raced around in circles, periodically returning to roll somersaults at my feet. He was so tiny, he couldn't have been more than a few days weaned. He was so cute, I almost wanted to scoop him up and take him home.

I went out with less layers today but still rather warmly dressed. By the time I got to the pier it had warmed up to the point where I had taken off the sweater and scarf. By the time I left I was carrying the fleece as well. By the time I got back I was so excited by the change in weather that I put on my flip flops and went back to the beach fully intending to walk in the water. I changed my mind as soon as my bare foot hit the sand at the bottom of the stairs. It was very cold. I haven't given up on the idea for tomorrow afternoon though. It's supposed to get into the high 70s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home