Monday, April 25, 2005

Lazy Day

I'm feeling more relaxed already. Being on the west side of the building, untroubled by the rising sun, I slept in until 10:30 this morning. I don't think I've slept that late in a year. The computer setup here seems to be working fine although it's set up so I have so sit so far from the screen that I have to draft this in an extra large bold font so I can see what I'm saying, but it's Roadrunner and it works fine otherwise, which is a good thing since of all the things I could left behind in my rush to get on the road yesterday, the laptop was the only thing I forgot to bring.

Meanwhile, I've settled into the condo and like it very much - the condo itself and the whole concept of renting the condo instead of a hotel room. With the last minute special rate, I paid less than I would for the hotel and I have a whole apartment that's about the same size but nicer than my old digs in Northampton. It's not glamorous like the bigger condo I almost got but it's very comfortable and well furnished. I went to grocery last night and stocked the frig and nuked myself a meal last night as usual. It really feels like I'm actually living on the beach here.

I probably wouldn't want to be here in high season though. While the location is good and the view and proximity to the ocean is actually better than it looked in the pictures, somehow they managed to avoid showing that the deck also overlooks the trailer park next door. Now it's not a white trash park, it's a place for mostly traveling house trailers to park, although along the periphery there are some permanent ones and those are nicely kept, some with gardens and statuary around them. Right now it's almost empty so it's quiet. I have a feeling in the summer, it's likely to be much noisier.

The condo complex is pretty much deserted as well. There's maybe a dozen cars here out of eight buildings and I haven't seen a soul walking around yet. Of course I haven't ventured off the deck myself yet today as the wind is still pretty stiff. Still it was pleasant enough to bundle up and have my coffee out there this morning. I'm glad I brought my silk long johns which I'll need for a walk on the beach today. The good news is it's supposed to get warmer as the week progresses so I still may get my feet wet before I leave.

For the moment I'm about to put on about seven layers of clothes and go out for a walk. Part of the reason I picked this place is it's close to the inlet at the end of the island. It looks to be under three miles to the end and I think the shelling will be better down there. One would think you could possibly find whole conch shells judging by the number of them I see spread over the picnic tables at the trailer park. I don't know if I'll get that far in this wind but I'm going to give it a shot. It won't get warmer than this today and the sun is shining brightly. That can only help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home