Monday, August 11, 2008

Think I'm in Trouble

Well, I suppose it's time to confess my ugly little secret. I'm unemployed. Two weeks after I signed on for another year on my lease here, based on the assurance that I would have another year's worth of work, I was told that I would be laid off in a month. It's been six weeks now and I haven't been able to find even a crummy part time job. To say I'm unsettled would be to understate the situation considerably. I don't sleep well and I can barely eat.

I'm sad about leaving the old job. I miss the person I was caring for but mostly I'm embarrassed. I haven't had to look for a job in 25 years and it makes me feel like a total loser not to be working. I'm finding the job hunting process incredibly demeaning. I'm not even getting polite acknowledgements of receipt of my resume, much less interviews. Apparently there's not much of a demand for a 56 year old woman, with no real academic creds but 18 years of office management experience who works hard, learns quickly and is a crackerjack assistant.

I'm in a world of grief dear friends. I'm almost $5000 in debt from my operation. I need at least a couple of thousand of dollars in dental work done immediately or I'll probably never get a decent job. On the bright side, I finally got a lead on a good dentist, but I'm going to have to drop my health insurance. They're charging me $750 a month as a single payer. I have a really strict lease that can't be broken. I'm stuck here for the next 9 months in a tiny little town with no social network. I don't have a single friend here since John died. I don't think I've ever felt so alone.

It's really difficult for me to ask for help. I'm used to helping others, not needing it myself, but I really need it now. If you've ever felt inclined to donate a few bucks to the blog, now would be a good time to hit the "Make a Donation" button at the top of the sidebar. If you don't want to use paypal, you can email me for a land address. If you can't donate money, any advice would be welcome in either the comment section or by email as well. Kind thoughts would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home