Sunday, July 16, 2006

Trompe l'oeil

So I was leaving the bank drive up window about three weeks ago and I noticed this plant growing at the corner of the veranda at the back of the string of little shops along the main drag. It was smaller then, and a different shade of green. Sitting right next to it was this Rasta guy smoking a hand rolled cigarette and I mean he was really rasta. Very black, dressed in rainbow colors and really long dreads with beads and everything. I couldn't help but think he had inadvertently tossed a seed and didn't notice it had grown into a plant or maybe he was just hoping nobody else noticed, including anyone at the police station across the parking lot. I had to check it out closer when I was there the other day.


As you can see, it's merely a butterfly bush, but with a leaf configuration I've never seen before. I'll tell you one thing though, I wouldn't grow these on a bet in my yard, knowing how many times an innocent gardener has been raided for cannabis look-alikes. Too bad, because it's an attractive plant, and I like to attract butterflies, but I just don't fancy the local SWAT team knocking down my door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home