Monday, October 20, 2008

Necropolis

I think this is pretty cool.

Workers renovating a rugby stadium have uncovered a vast complex of tombs beneath Rome that mimic the houses, blocks and streets of a real city, according to officials, who have unveiled a series of new finds.

Culture Ministry officials said Thursday that medieval pottery shards in the city of the dead, or necropolis, show the area may have been inhabited by the living during the Dark Ages after being used for centuries for burials during the Roman period.
Pictures at the link.

I always thought I would make a good archaeologist. It would suit me to be outside, digging in the dirt with a teaspoon and a whisk broom, carefully uncovering antiquities. If I ever won big at the lottery I might volunteer for a dig somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home