Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Another friend gone

I haven't quite been able to wrap my head around this. One of my dearest friends in the world died and I couldn't be there to say goodbye, not at his bedside and not at the memorial service.

Roy Warren was an amazing human being. Born on Valentine's Day. Served in Vietnam where he was badly injured. He was put together with steel rods and plastic joints and suffered through great pain every single day but you would never know it. He was one of the kindest and funniest human beings I ever met.

He and my dear friend Victoria were a couple for many years and we used to spend a whole lot of time together. Practically the three musketeers. It would take pages to tell all the stories. Some I couldn't tell because the statute of limitation may not have run out (That's a joke.) Roy taught me how to be a great card player and how to appreciate what you've got instead of worrying about what you didn't get.

I'm on my out the door to the dentist, so I don't have time to do him justice right now. Maybe I'll write more. Maybe I won't. It hurts to know he's gone and I'll never have a chance to hang out with him again. It makes me wish I had stayed in better touch since I moved down here. Isn't that always the way? You think you have plenty of time, and then, it runs out.

Rest in peace Roy. I hope if there's a heaven that you're in it and your broken body doesn't hurt anymore. For those of us left on the mortal coil, the pain of your loss will take a very long time to heal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home