Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Oh my head

I had big plans for today but I was struck suddenly with a migraine last night that was even worse when I woke up. I thought I was going to vomit from the pain this morning and being the good hypochrondiac that I am, I considered the possibility I was about to have a massive aneurism. Of course, I didn't and it finally seems to be pretty much subsiding but I still can't bend over or anything.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to figure out what this insect was that I saw yesterday afternoon. I was doing laundry at the local laundramat and decided to walk over to the convenience store rather than drive. It's a busy road but a short walk so I stayed in the grass at the side of the road in spite my fear of ticks. It was all pretty well mowed.

Anyway, I saw this white and black bug. I thought at first it was a caterpillar but the markings were so striking I made a close inspection. It was at least an inch long and hanging onto a blade of grass with a lot of little black legs like a caterpillar. It was white with black spots and had the weirdest eyes. They weren't compound that I could tell but they were like big flat saucers on either side of the head. I don't recall any antlers. But the weird thing is it had wings. They were flat and really straight. It didn't move even when I picked up the blade of grass with my keys to get a better look. I've never seen anything like it and I was bummed I didn't have my camera.

I've been searching the internets since to try to identify it but I haven't even come close. I can't even figure out what kind of insect it is. It's driving me crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home