Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Name that nail polish

I managed to email Starburst today. It took three times before it would take my message. I had to take out all the extraneous punctuation that I love to use in order to get it sent. Then I thought I would jump right in and contact OPI about naming the nail polish after Rob Smith. I was trying to figure out how to pitch it so I did some more research on the company. I might note I discovered that there a consumer action against them for using some kind of really toxic ingredients in the US manufacture that they don't use for their European version because they're outlawed there, but I decided to let that rest and just concentrate on the name problem.

Actually the names arise out of an interesting process. The VP, Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, who happens to be the sister-in-law of the owner, creates the names of the new lines with a handful of other company insiders. They generally introduce a new line with a geographic theme and they love to use puns. They're also are open to long names, such as their long time favorite -- I'm not really a waitress -- a red which was part of their Hollywood themed line.

I ended not contacting them yet. While I still think it's useful to email them, I think we need to follow up with a written letter to Suzi at this mailing address:

OPI PRODUCTS INC.
13034 Saticoy Street
N. Hollywood, CA 91605
TEL:818.759.2400 in CA
800.341.9999

And I think we'll have a better chance of success if we also suggest a theme for a whole new line of polish. I suppose we could go with a Savannah theme but I'm wondering if there's a way to pitch it as a Blogtopia theme. Maybe we could all get a color named after us...

In any event, I'm going to think about it a little longer before I write them. My muse is not with me today and I'm convinced if we could come up with some pun-ny names for a whole line of colors, we might just pull this off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home