Monday, July 24, 2006

First responder

The universe clearly works in mysterious ways. I was supposed to have today off, but I ended working all day. So I came home rather late and I'm opening my doors and I saw something orange in the lawn I wanted to check out. It was a mushroom of course, but while I'm looking at it, I hear my neighbor shouting, "Corky come help me." I look over I see somebody lying under a SUV and assume they're working on the thing and need a screwdriver or something but I keep watching anyway. And the hollering doesn't stop.

So I watch a while longer, and I see this person, rolling around on the ground and it strikes me that something just ain't right. So I walk down my driveway, I'm still not sure she's just not calling someone in the house but at this angle I can finally see, she's not working on the car. So I run over and ask her if she's alright. She starts sobbing with relief because somebody finally answered her call. Apparently she had fallen out of her SUV onto her head.

She's not bleeding badly but she's pretty banged up. Had a hell of shiner already started and she smelled of alcohol. She tells me she thinks she had a "sugar attack" and wants me to help her get up. I'm feeling like a deer caught in headlights. I don't know her story, she's elderly and she's got at least 60 pounds on me. I don't want to leave her alone. I'm thinking if it's really a sugar attack I should be giving her juice or something and I don't have my cell with me to call 911 and I'm not sure I need or want to call them since I'm pretty sure she's just drunk. And in any event, there's no way I'm picking her up on my own. Thankfully, the next door neighbors arrived home at that moment, a youngish woman with her teenage daughter so I called them over to help me.

In the interim, another older woman shows up who knows her. Just happened to be driving by unexpectedly. I let them take charge and just waited with the old lady until the paramedics showed up. The odd thing is, if I hadn't had gone out in that one moment to look at the mushroom I may never have noticed she was down. Heck of a strange way to meet the neighbors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home