Friday, January 06, 2006

It's about the sovereignty

Moving through the inbox, I see Marc Emery's lawyer and I had the same thoughts. That's one of the most interesting phenomenon on the internets to me. I tend to write as I go, before I do a lot of reading so as not to filter my words through other people's point of view. It seems so often, I'll use a certain phrase that I haven't seen in a long time and then discover that many other writers have used the same words in the same time frame. It's kind of uncanny, as if there's some kind of universal train of thought that we all hooked into. Thus I'm fascinated to see the lede on this article.
VANCOUVER (CP) - A lawyer for pot activist Marc Emery says the federal government's decision not to proceed with drug charges against his client clears the way for his possible extradition to the United States and means the federal government is kowtowing to the Americans.
Didn't I just say that? Spooky.

On a brighter note, This article notes the private charges brought by Paddy Roberts of South Slocan, B.C remain alive and he has countered the government by filing a writ of prohibition to stop federal prosecutors from intervening.
Roberts, who spent several months in a Dutch jail several years ago pending extradition to the U.S. on his own drug charges, said a lawyer took on the case at no cost.

"The implications, if we don't win, are very, very serious," said Roberts, chairman of the separatist Bloc B.C. party.

"It means that the (justice minister) of Canada is acting on dubious legal grounds, very dubious legal grounds, to try and interfere in a Canadian court process that will ultimately allow Americans to extend their criminal jurisdiction into this country."
Canadians, whether cannabis consumers or not should be very afraid if this extradition succeeds. Once the long arm of a US administration that eats its own civil rights for breakfast reaches over their border to snatch their citizens, due process will be as doomed in their society as it currently is in ours.

[hat tip to Tim Meehan]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home