Friday, November 04, 2011

Murmuration

Starlings are really obnoxious birds. Never really liked them much. They're noisy. Mean. Messy and generally a nuisance. But when they flock together like this, it's truly a wonder to behold.

Murmuration from Sophie Windsor Clive on Vimeo.

[Direct link if you can't see the video.]

I witnessed something very similar to this once when I was walking in the meadows around lovely downtown Northampton. I was mesmerized for a very long time before they settled down as the sun finally set. It's not something you ever forget.

4 Comments:

At 9:18 AM , Anonymous marcus said...

Wow, damn outstanding display!

However, if I had been there they would have all hovered above me, dropping everything they had eaten for the last 4 days, thinking I'm a statue.

edoodyl

 
At 4:19 PM , Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL marcus. When they're flying like that, they're not pooping.

 
At 7:19 PM , Anonymous marcus said...

I've seen all kinds of birds poop in flight. Where do you think military minds got the idea of dive bombers?



apinsh

 
At 7:56 AM , Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Ha! surely I've been pooped on by a flying bird but I don't think they're pooping when they're doing that dance. Could be wrong of course. I wasn't close enough to get pooped on when I saw it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home