Friday, October 28, 2011

Almost Halloween

I'm home at last. Really tired out from the drive. First two days were easy. Pleasant even. Took a new route I'd never been on. Light traffic. Interesting scenery. And early stops because a headlight went out so I stopped at sunset.

Yes, I know I could have had some strange mechanic just replace the bulb, but I'm paranoid about being ripped off by strangers because I'm so clueless about cars. I only trust my local guys here to take care of my automotive needs. Besides I'd rather keep the money in town. With the unemployment rate around here, the local economy really needs it.

Anyway, last leg was short, just under five hours, but brutal. Intense, erratic traffic the whole way. Couldn't use the cruise control. Lots of nerve wracking speeding required to safely stay in the flow of traffic. And too much sudden braking when somebody actually takes the speed limit signs seriously and is going less than 10 miles over the limit. Or worse yet, the actual speed limit.

It's going to be a crashing out day for me. Which the weather calls for anyway. Rainy and ridiculously cold for a place they call "the south." Probably won't get out of my pajamas so here's a video that just surfaced in my social media timeline that's appropriate for the season. Love these old Disney toons from the early days when they were still really edgy.



I swear, I remember watching this as a kid. [If you can't see the embed, direct link here.

7 Comments:

At 1:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miis those...

 
At 1:39 PM , Anonymous marcus said...

So do i.....

 
At 5:39 PM , Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Well. thanks to the genius of youtube you can watch lots of them. Just search for 20s cartoons.

 
At 11:36 PM , Blogger Umā said...

After recently driving across the country by myself I can definitely relate to the driving woes!

 
At 1:33 AM , Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Uma, I was reading your travel stories. We travel oddly parallel paths at different times. If you're ever driving through St Louis again, take the bypass road. Much better.

 
At 12:05 PM , Blogger Umā said...

I wish I'd know about that, I was married to the GPS the whole time. What a nightmare that was...

 
At 1:48 PM , Blogger Libby Spencer said...

The GPS is a wonderful tool in many ways, but I've found it favors the straightest route, which is not always the best one. Took me a while to figure that out. Now I always check the atlas too to see if there's a good bypass around a big city. It's often a few miles longer, but almost always well worth it to avoid driving through the city.

St. Louis is the scariest city I've ever driven through as well. So many short distance lane changes from right to left to right and really aggressive drivers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home