Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquake!

Well, I didn't feel the earthquake where I am right now, but I followed the reaction to it on the social media. Lot of people I know felt it. If you're wondering what caused it, it appears there's a natural geological explanation. If you click that link there's a lot of very cool maps. I had no idea there were so many major fault lines along the East Coast. And apparently the reason the tremors could be felt for such long distances is because the rock layers in the East are old and cold. Which could describe me too, actually.

If you're wondering just how strong was that tremor you felt, you can look up your Richter Scale rating by zip code here.

And I thought this was interesting. The National Zoo reports the animals' reaction to the quake. Click the link for the whole list, but these were my favorites:
The red ruffed lemurs sounded an alarm call about 15 minutes before the quake and then again just after it occurred.

The lion pride was outside. They all stood still and faced the building, which rattled during the quake. All settled down within minutes.

The Zoo has a flock of 64 flamingos. Just before the quake, the birds rushed about and grouped themselves together. They remained huddled during the quake.
Apparently no damage to the Zoo and the animals are all safe and accounted for. Wondering how the five people who still read this blog made out? Hope you're all safe and no property damage to report.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home