Sunday, June 21, 2009

Turning the corner

Just a quick update on progress at the new home. I finally finished the heavy cleaning. All 12 windowpanes of all 10 windows have been bleached, as have all the baseboards and doors inside the house. Every wall has been scrubbed. Every floor has been washed. All I have left is the inside of the four closets. The musty smell seems to be gone, at least it is during this hot spell. I had the place closed up for hours yesterday while I did some shopping and my laundry and when I came home the place felt like a oven, but it didn't smell. The test will come the next time we have a rainy spell. But I feel like I can take it a little easier and start enjoying the town while I unpack at a more leisurely pace.

I'm still discovering new places to shop and new routes to get around. Finding great cross streets to get to the stores with no traffic lights and few stop signs. Made it to the Walgreens drugstore that's within walking distance yesterday. I have to admit I drove there because I was already out, but it's a great drugstore. Well stocked and I got some great deals. I also realized it's right next door to a smaller Food Lion and more importantly the little cafe I discovered here years ago that makes great bagels.

Also went to the Mexican grocery store. That was very cool. Great produce department. It sells roots I've never heard of and the familiar produce is really cheap and looks better than at the mainstream grocers. I saw a white coconut for the first time in my life. Didn't even know there was such a thing. It was so beautiful I wanted to buy one just to put on the mantle since I don't really like to eat fresh coconut. Didn't do it but I'm bringing my camera next time I go to that store. I also scored a bottle of Guatemalan beer that I never tried before. Won't try it again. Famosa. It's like a headache in a bottle. Glad I only bought one.

I have a bunny in my backyard. I've seen him several times, but everytime I go to get the camera, he disappears before I can get back out. I'll get a shot of him one of these days. He's very cute.

The trip to the laundry was a horror show. I was very excited to discover there was one in the shopping center just up the street. I hadn't noticed it before because it looked abandoned. Once I got inside I realized why. That deserves it's own post though. I'm going to go back and get some photos before I tell that story.

Meanwhile, I'm off to spend the afternoon with my Dad for Father's Day. The first time I've been able to do that for far too many years. Hope you're able to spend it with your Dad too, or if you're a Dad that your kids are treating you well on your day. Have a happy one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home