Sunday, July 29, 2007

The birds and the bees



One of the worst things about summer in the south is not the heat. I love it hot and what they call humidity here is a joke compared to August in New England. No, the worst is the insects. They're big and they're aggressive. The japanese beetles are the size of quarters and they dive bomb you regularly and there are these blackassed bees the size of 747s that occassionally will chase you around the yard. But on the bright side, the butterflies are also huge and they're really friendly.

I thought this guy was going to land on me for a while. It took a long time to get just these two rather bad shots because he was flying from shrub to shrub on both sides of the sidewalk but whenever he passed by me he sort of flirted with the idea. He came close to landing on my shoulder. I wish he had. I've loved butterflies ever since I used to watch stuff like this. (I love Terry Toons too).

Meanwhile, I still don't have a hummingbird feeder, (or a bong substitute). I got lost on the blogs and didn't get out until late and the store that I thought I would score at was out of them. On the bright side, I remembered there's a bird store down the road in the bigger city so I'll be able to avoid the big box after all, even though it will probably cost twice as much to get one at the speciality shop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home