Sunday, July 22, 2007

Something rotten in Denmark

This makes me really sad. Copenhagen has finally managed to kick the hippies out of Christiania. I blogged about the pressure they were under from the government back in January of 04 (scroll down to Burn Out), when they were forced to burn down their hash stalls to avoid being busted.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. The first hippies took over an abandoned military base that nobody wanted back in 1971 and grew it into a corporate free village but the city grew up around it and now that worthless real estate is worth a whole lot of money. So even though it's still a tourist attraction, the corporate profits are in condos. Gentrification eventually ruins all hippie havens.

Still it's sad. It's probably the longest running and biggest hippie commune in the world. I hate seeing history die such an unseemly death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home