Monday, December 18, 2006

Baby, it's warm outside

Sorry I disappeared yesterday folks. The weather has been so good here that I spent a lot of time outdoors yesterday and then got caught up in the Lord of the Rings which was aired in its entirety yesterday on TV. I passed out early from all the fresh air and lack of sleep in the last couple of days. I think I slept for about 12 hours. I never used to be able to do that.

It's going to be another beautiful day here in the sunny northern south. This is the part I love about living here. No heavy coats and bundling up in seven layers to go out just to check the mailbox. I've had the door open in the afternoons for the last few days and I still dress warmer than most people but I was out in just a fleece yesterday and this time of year there's no nasty bugs to ruin the fun.

On the wildlife front, I haven't seen my deer since I had the leaves blown away but the birds are coming in droves to peck away at the lawn. I seem to have more cardinals. There's at least four that come to the windowsill to investigate the spider webs and I saw a whole treeful of them on my walk yesterday. I love those the best but the wrens and sparrows are also sweet and there's some new tiny little one that I haven't been able to identify yet.

The squirrels are really cheered up too. They were looking a little down and determined during the cold snap a couple of weeks ago, but they're back to frolicking and chasing each other madly around the trees. I've taken to throwing the heels of my bread outside for them. I noticed this morning, they're getting a little snobbish about it though. I use grainy bread and break the slices up into fairly large chunks. They used to eat the whole piece but now they just chew out the grain and leave the bread part for the birds. It works out though because they break the chunks up into crumbs so the birds can eat it more easily.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to work up the energy to make my one trip to the stores today. I'm not doing much gift giving this year on account of being nearly broke but there's a couple of things I haven't been able to find online and I still don't have an angel for my daughter. I've given a new one every year since she was born. I can't break the tradition now. Either way, I should be back later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home