Sunday, June 11, 2006

If we knew then

I have a confession to make. I don't delete email. The worst part is, it's not because I'm lazy. It's because I either saved them for a reason or I still believe I'm actually going to answer two year old emails. But you know what, sometimes I do. I mean how funny is that to get an answer to a two year old email?

I have 5683 emails archived just on one account. Remarkably it doesn't use up that much bandwidth and once in while, like now, when I'm too fried to read news, I take a stroll down memory lane to see what was occupying our thoughts.

Two years ago, Rush's case was big news and we were wondering about other priviledged defendants. This 2001 piece by the inestimable Dan Forbes was being circulated. It started like this.
The nephew of Attorney General-designate John Ashcroft received probation after a felony conviction in state court for growing 60 marijuana plants with intent to distribute the drug in 1992 -- a lenient sentence, given that the charges against him often trigger much tougher federal penalties and jail time. Ashcroft was the tough-on-drugs Missouri governor at the time.
Dan had a long list then. It's become longer. We can at least add another Kennedy to it. Somebody should do an update. I wonder where Dan is anyway?

A year ago, The Raich decision came down and there was a rumor circulating that proof of Bush's cocaine arrest had been found.

I'm glad I didn't find any email to answer. I don't have the energy to be witty tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home