Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Underwear Update

I've heard that a group of women got together in support of Loretta Nall and mailed a box of undies in assorted sizes to the Elmore prison in Alabama. Way to go girls. You so rock.

I intend to keep the pressure up on this policy. It's been bugging me for a long time. I've heard way too many stories about family members being mistreated on visits over the years, often over attire. As far as I can tell, there's not a national policy on it. It appears every prison sets its own rules and they're unevenly enforced.

It seems to me that if prison is to have a rehabilitative effect on the inmates, we should be making it easier for their families to show their support, not more difficult. Of course that assumes that the idea is to alleviate crime, rather than keep the prison-industrial complex profitable by filling it with warm bodies, whether or not they present a danger to society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home