Saturday, March 06, 2004

david-crosby.com
Suite Judy Blue Eyes

It's getting to the point
Where I'm no fun anymore...


As if he hasn't been through enough, David Crosby was busted this morning after having left behind a piece of luggage at the Doubletree Suites Hotel on Broadway in NYC.

Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now
I am not dreaming...


I know some of you are saying - but he had a loaded gun... I concede this as a valid point but think about life as a aging rock star. You don't make quite enough to hire limos and muscle men to protect you anymore. Frankly you don't need them because you're no longer being swamped by arduous fans but there are the inevitable nut cases out there who want to harm you in some way. (Let's not forget John Lennon.) I find it perfectly credible that he would need a gun for protection.

Can I tell it like it is? Help me I'm sufferin'
Listen to me baby-Help me I'm dyin'...


And the gun notwithstanding, David Crosby is a non-violent, firearm owner who is now basically screwed for being arrested for possessing a small amount of cannabis at the same time he had the gun. Under the draconian Rockefeller laws he will face greater penalties for the cannabis than he would had he only been arrested for possessing the gun.

Meanwhile it will cost the taxpayers tens of thousands of dollars to prosecute this 62 year old singer who wrote songs that I still remember all the lyrics to, almost four decades later. Is there a boomer alive that doesn't remember this one?

Well, I came upon a child of God
He was walking along the road
And I asked him, "Tell where are you going?"
This he told me...


These were the songs that underlined the peace movement's resistance to the Vietnam war. Kind of odd timing that David would be arrested now by an administration hell bent on waging new wars.

And I dreamed I saw the bomber death planes
Riding shotgun in the sky,
Turning into butterflies
Above our nation.

We are stardust, we are golden,
We caught in the devil's bargain,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden.


Sometimes I feel like I'm fighting the sixties all over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home