Monday, July 14, 2003

BREAKING NEWS IN VENEZUELA

Disturbing news in my inbox this afternoon. CatiaTV in Venezuela was illegally shut down and its equipment was seized by Metropolitan Mayor Alfredo Pena of Caracas. Blanca Eekhout was a fellow participant at the first Narconews School of Authentic Jornalism. In the ten days we spent together, I came to care about her as if she were my own daughter. She has been doing some incredible work in her community and this indignity against the free press should not go unremarked. President Chavez has come out in support of the station. Support from her fellow journalists in Venezuela has been tepid. Please write to Vheadline.com in support of Blanca and CatiaTV.

*************************

NURSING THE WOUNDed

The American Nurses Association, joining a dozen others, came out in favor of medicinal marijuana this week. In the hierarchy of the hospital, the nurses are the front line. They spend more time with the patients and can observe the effects of treatments more closely than an MD who comes in at best for 10 minutes or so, maybe twice a day. Bless the ANA for having the courage to speak up.

Sis, if you're reading this tonight, thanks for signing.

The Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society published a study done by a group in San Diego asserting No "Substantial, Systematic Effect" Of Chronic Pot Smoking On Neurocognitive Performance.

Meanwhile, researchers in Milan, Italy found cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive compound in marijuana, is protective against brain injury in animals, according to a study published in this month's issue of Neuroscience Letters. And they say it's not a medicine?

*************************


LIGHT OF THE MOON

Well I've already broken my resolution to post every day except Mondays. Over time, I have come to appreciate the comfort of routines but in the end I suppose I just really loathe schedules. I'm blaming this lapse on that big fat full-face moon that's been hanging over lovely downtown Noho all weekend. They don't call it lunacy for nothing.

I spent a lot of time with my neighbor. She's a year younger than me and is literally drinking herself to death. Our relationship would take volumes to explain but I hold myself partly responsible since I hooked her up with an Irishman with a golden heart but also a wooden leg. I've had to use some unkind words to drive home my concern. Not my favorite strategy but it had come down to sparing her feelings or saving her life.

We did make some progress however, we talked about detox programs and she and Michael gave me the quotes of the weekend.

Mike quoting Mark Twain: If you don't lie, you don't have to remember anything.

Irma quoting Iris (her deceased mother): You know you have to watch a thief - but you can never trust a liar.


It was a weekend of the brutal truth that changes but does not harm you.

LA Stone












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home