Tuesday, July 01, 2003

KINDNESS OF STRANGERS

I received this story in my email today. This is written by Loretta Nall, President of the US Marijuana Party. I thought it was beautiful example of how the universe provides what you need and it also gives me hope for the success of the anti-prohibition movement. Every day I see more and more people stepping forward to say this absurd War on Some Drugs is wrong-headed and doing greater damage than the use of the outlawed substances.


I left early to be sure to get there on time. 1 hour outside of Guntersville my anti-lock brake system in the car went out and I almost wrecked. I stop at a brake service place to see if they could fix it. They couldn't but sent me to a Mercury dealer up the road. They can fix it but couldn't right away.

So I call a rental car company and had them pick me up. I am already running very late by now and the rental place was 20 minutes out of the way. They also did not take cash and I do not have a credit card. Luckily, the lady who picked me up was from Columbia and as we rode we discussed the drug war. She related to me that her brother lives in the region of Columbia where the US Govt. sprays for coca and that when his wife was 6 months pregnant she lost a baby that was terribly deformed because of the pesticides. When I told her who I was on my way to see and what my purpose was she made an exception and took cash from me for the car. She also waived the $100 deposit and wished me all the luck in the world and said she hoped that one day things would change.


Amen. Today I believe that one day things will indeed change.

War of the Words

I had a letter to the editor published in response to this article in the Brattleboro Reformer.

It's funny. For over 20 years, I've had virtually every LTE I have written on politics published until I started writing about drug reform. This was my first hit in ten submissions. I suspect the Reformer publishes pretty much everything they get but it still felt good to say something in a public forum.

I'm convinced we are going end this war when enough of us who have been lurking in the shadows step forward and speak up.


Speaking In Tongues

My two faithful readers may have noticed I jazzed up the blog. Yes it's true - you can teach an old girl new tricks - I'm learning html. I find I like it. It's sort of like learning a new language only so far it doesn't seem to have a lot of contradictory rules of grammar. It appeals to the meticulous part of my nature. I love putting little pieces together to make a bigger picture. Thanks to htmlgoodies.com and Treva at Lift the Veil for getting me started.

Now if I could just figure out how to access my D:/ drive....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home