Saturday, May 18, 2013

In my secret garden

If I ever manage to settle down somewhere, in my garden I would grow these flowers. Monkshood. Don't believe I've ever seen growing anywhere in real life. They're selling them at a local flower sale here in June.

Monkshood is originally from Europe, but has now naturalized in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions of North America. It’s a stately, upright plant with thick, leathery leaves and beautiful helmet-shaped blue flowers held high on erect spikes. Although it will take some sun, it is perfect for the back of a shady border. In Europe, it was used to kill wolves and mad dogs, hence its other common name "Wolfsbane."



[Photos are better if you click on them to embiggen.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home