Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sunday afternoon

I've been in such a funk for the last couple of weeks. Partly the time change. It takes me forever to adjust to early dark at night. And still dealing with my grief over losing Dad. Thought I would be doing better by now, but just can't shake the profound sense of loss. His absense casts a deep shadow that dims my joy in living, even after all these weeks. But as I told my sister at lunch the other day, there's no timetable on grieving. So I'm trying not to beat myself up for failing to "get over it" already.

Oddly, this sad story comforts me. You may have seen it already. No doubt you saw the original story about the elephant and her best friend, a dog. That's reviewed at this link but the last chapter is tragic. The dog was killed, by coyotes they think, and now the elephant grieves and must find comfort in new ways. I guess we'll both find it eventually.

Meanwhile, on a slightly happier note, although it's still about loss. 11 Sounds That Your Kids Have Probably Never Heard. I admit, I remember every single one of these things. And sounds that are even older. I was just a youngster then and my Dad was alive and it seemed then, he would live forever and never get old.

Everything changes. Sometimes for the better. Sometimes not. But the change is inevitable and all we can do it accept it and somehow, move forward again.

2 Comments:

At 8:30 PM , Blogger rockync said...

The percolater looks just like the the one Dad had when we were young.

 
At 7:33 AM , Blogger Libby Spencer said...

So it does. I think he still had it but didn't use it anymore. Just used that tiny one because he only drank one cup of coffee a day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home