Friday, February 23, 2007


Fire Down Below


The ambulance passes by my house about once a week. I figure there's somebody who's really sick down the road. But it's not often we get fire trucks. Still, a lot of people burn brush in their yards around here and they do come by ocassionally, so I didn't think much of it when the first two came by. But then ten minutes later a truck came from the next town and I saw smoke so I went out to investigate.

Of course I was still in my pjs when it happened and it was a small fire so by the time I got dressed it was over. It appears that somebody burned their kitchen out but the house looked pretty intact. The one corner was pretty badly burned. You could see the charring on the brick where the flames had busted through the window. I didn't take a picture of it because the elderly woman who apparently lives there was crying in the driveway and I didn't want to have to talk to the two gossipy looking women who were standing in the road gawking at the damage.

It was cold day. The sun was great but the wind turned to the north again and felt icy. And the gusts were really mean, beating down on me as I trundled back up the hill. Still the crocuses are up and you can feel the sun winning the battle against winter. It helps. This is the time of year I really appreciate living in the south.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home