Sunday, May 28, 2006

Working holiday

It was hotter than Hades here today. I never went outside until after 5:00. It's cooler here at my little homestead. I'm always amazed at the difference in the microclimates. The trees make such a difference. I turned the overhead fan on to sleep for the last couple of nights but with the doors it's been comfy for me. I pretend it's a sea breeze.

I'm working through the holiday but at least I got home at a decent hour. Of course that hardly makes a difference in my energy level since I got up in the middle of a dream at the crack of dawn. I never really feel rested when I wake up like that. The dream always gnaws at the edge of my consciousness, a little unresolved thought that I can't quite recapture.

On a brighter note, I saw my first hummingbird outside the window yesterday. I have to put up the feeder. I'm thinking I should buy a couple more and put them outside all the good windows. I bought sugar last year but never got around to making the food. I can't quite remember if the ratio is 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 but I expect I can google to find out.

I'm going to do that and plant my window boxes this week. I'm trying to figure out what deer won't eat. I didn't plant a garden this year because they were so zealous in munching down the seedlings, so they ate the pinks that came back from last year. Last year they didn't touch them because they had all the other stuff I guess. Impatiens are out. I almost lost those last year. In any event, I don't know why I'm fussing over it. I won't have much of a choice this late in the season. I'll probably end up with geraniums.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home