Sunday, October 02, 2005

Advocates rally in Wisconsin for medical marijuana

Wisconsin medical marijuana advocates are holding a rally this weekend featuring support "for a bill they say is expected to be introduced by Rep. Gregg Underheim, R-Oshkosh."

Underheim is a new convert, but as so often happens, a bout with cancer changed his mind about this medicinal herb. Local advocate Gary Storck said "there are already 15 co-sponsors of the bill, including Reps. Mark Pocan and Spencer Black, both Madison Democrats." Storck's organization, Wisconsin Coalition for Safe Access "will deliver cards signed by medical marijuana supporters to state legislators" on Monday, after holding another rally on the Capitol steps.

Meanwhile a long absent friend is quoted as well.
"I think we have our first real chance," said longtime local advocate Ben Masel.

A medical marijuana bill introduced four years ago never made it out the Assembly's Health Committee, Masel said.
It sounds promising to me for a win here as well. In fact I was just talking about this a couple of days ago. For those of us in the policy reform movement, it's sometimes difficult to see our progress. It often feels like beating your head against the wall, but when I started this blog over three years ago, this wouldn't have even been considered, much less made the news.

Back then my friends said I was crazy to think I would see marijuana legalized in my lifetime. Maybe I was, but this sure looks like progress to me.

[Another interview with Gary Storck is here.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home