Common sense versus nonsense
NORML just released its 2005 "Truth Report", refuting for the what feels the millionth time, the biggest government lies about marijuana. Among the myths exploded are:
Sounds like a plan to me.* "Nationwide, no drug matches the threat posed by marijuana."
* "The addiction to marijuana by our youth exceeds their addiction rates for alcohol ... and all other drugs combined."
* "Marijuana and violence are linked."
* "Marijuana is a gateway drug."
* "As a factor in emergency room visits, marijuana ... now surpasses heroin."
* "Marijuana is not medicine, and no credible research suggests that it is."
* "Smoked marijuana leads to changes in the brain similar to those caused by the use of cocaine and heroin."
* "Marijuana legalization would be a nightmare for America."
NORML Executive Director Allen St. Pierre said, "It's time to begin an honest public education campaign about the minimal risks presented by marijuana. Let's allow science, not rhetoric, to dictate America's public policy regarding marijuana. As you will see, the facts speak for themselves."