Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Wildlife

Garden excitement of the day was not the nasturtiums. I think I'm giving up on them. But I do have two tomatoes almost the size of golfballs on the newer plant. Meanwhile, my Brandywine is growing taller by the minute and had set out some new flowers way at the top but no signs of vigourous intent to produce fruit. I'm going to try pinching the top from now on. I don't really have a choice. It's already way too tall for the cage as it is.

No signs that my miserable excuse for a spagetti squash vine is going to set fruit either in spite of a long run of blossoming nearly every day. The wierd Italian gourd on the other hand, is thriving and threatens to take over the bottom half of the garden but has only shown two flowers in all these weeks. And through it all the herbs just quietly grow bigger.

Wildlife sighting of the week was the two giant deer at the top of the hill at the family homestead. It was late morning, and they were so big I thought they were horses at first.

The excitement of the day was a 8 foot long limb falling off the tree in front. I didn't see it because I was out back surveying the garden but I heard it crack and then thud when it hit the ground. It was four inches across. I was glad I wasn't standing under the tree when it happened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home