Monday, May 09, 2005

Back to the real world

Well driving the poor old 94 Ford feels like tooling around in a junker after two weeks with the 05 Cruiser. Of course, having adapted to the new car, I kept looking for the console shift and the window mechanism on the dashboard. It feels really low compared to the Cruiser as well. Oddly when you looked at them both in the driveway though, the Cruiser was really a much smaller car.

Anyway I'm readjusting and the weather of course turned hot now that I'm not at the beach anymore. Good for the garden, speaking of which, my latest transplants all look good. I'm going to plant nasturtium in the empty spaces and I'll be done except for dealing with the window boxes. The big one is just too warped to put back up so I think I'm going to put it up on bricks and grow morning glories up to the window instead to cover the second board. In the interim, I bought a planter for the stoop and filled it with white salvia, white vinca and variegated ivy. I'm hoping to have a digital camera by the time everything fills out so I can start posting some photos.

It's getting harder to see the birds lately since the trees leafed out but my cardinals have taken to visiting the window by the computer when I'm home working and yesterday a baby wren of some sort hopped around inside the ledge and looked in on me for quite some time. It was too young to be afraid when I moved. I think it's baby time in bird land because I'm pretty sure I saw a baby cardinal fly by the other day. But not all are small. Two days ago I saw a crow the size of a small dog sitting on the neighbor's fence.

Meanwhile, my inexplicable sunburn is slowly fading to a sort of tan. I'm becoming convinced this all had something to do with the hot tub at the hotel. I think I stayed in too long and the chemicals sensitized me to the sun. I've been in the sun a lot longer in the tropics without burning and at the moment, my chest is bring new meaning to the word peeling but it's not happening in the customary way. It literally feels like a chemical peel.

In any event, I got four hours of sleep last night so although there's a lot more to tell, it's going to be an early night. I'll be back tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home