Monday, April 18, 2005

How will my garden grow?

Well I don't have high expectations with the condition of the soil but I planted a little garden this evening. That's the best part of living in the South. I can get home at 7:00 and still work outside. It doesn't get dark until 8:30. I planted one heirloom tomato and one sweet pepper I've never seen before, one sage plant and a few flowers. I'll get a couple more herbs and maybe a squash and a melon of some kind but I don't think I'll be investing much more into it this year.

Meanwhile I still can't decide whether to mow the lawn. I'm not sure it's possible because there's so much moss and I love the flowers. It's kind of turned into a bluet and violet strewn meadow at the moment and if I wasn't for what to appears to be some kind of crabgrass about to go to seed I wouldn't dream of cutting it. I'm thinking of getting one of those old fashioned push mowers so I can just mow the ugly parts and leave the flowers alone instead of hiring someone to drive over everything.

In other yard maintainence developments, I'm getting ready to some serious brush burning as I discovered it's the socially acceptable method of disposal here. I do so love a bonfire and I already have good firepit in the back yard. The only problem around here is there's no rocks to speak of. I would have liked to build a fire ring of stone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home