Friday, April 15, 2005

It's the tax man

I file the simplest forms possible because in my financial range it's just not worth the extra hours of aggravation to save a couple hundred dollars on deductions. The 1040EZ takes fifteen minutes to fill out, the state form maybe thirty - it's more complicated. Even then, except for last year, I usually get about hundred dollars back, so why do I always wait until the last day to file?

I don't know. I guess it's because I just hate the whole process and it pisses me off when I see how much of the money I earned with actual labor has been squandered by politicians who spend more time making deals to enrich themselves than they do looking out for my interests. I mean don't even get me started. Anyway it's done for another year.

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to some beach time. I almost relented and went to Florida. I went as far as putting together a great two week package but I backed out at the last minute and went for the local option. I decided I needed the quiet and took the remote condo on the beach with the wifi access. I can't wait to be live blogging from the sea. I think it's ten days from now. With my erratic schedule, I've completely lost track of time.

On the home front, the cardinals have been getting friendlier all the time and the local hawks have become an endless source of entertainment both here and at the family homestead. I saw six at once yesterday, swooping low between the houses and there was one just hanging in the wind this afternoon in the setting sun that was stunning. It was so low I could see all the colors on its wings.

In the flora department, my azaleas turned out to be pink and white and my neighbor has the sweetest smelling lilacs in bloom. Driving on the narrow roads right now is like driving through clouds of flowers. I'm astounded daily by how much is blooming at once. It's kind of like the springs I remember as a child. Even more stunning for a Northerner like me, I saw my first iris in bloom this morning. Definitely a flower I associate with mid June, not April. Small wonder that I'm feeling a bit disoriented by the season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home