Friday, January 14, 2005

Change is good

Well I think I'm home at last. I got the internet installed today and apparently picked the perfect spot for my desk. I'm sitting here typing this in the dark while the room pulses with the most astounding sunset pouring in through the window above my screen. The view is of a dozen tall thin trees in the foreground backed by an expanse of sky striated in blue, purple and white clouds glowing with red light. It just keeps getting more and more intense...

Even as it dies down to shades of gray at the very bottom of the cloud cover, the last light paints a hot flat river of yellow across the horizon line and an angry crimson cumulus threatens to engulf it from above. Wow. It felt almost supernatural.

It was good to have a whole day here and I made some real progress on moving in before the Time Warner guy got here. (I have to say I'm liking the Roadrunner connect so far.) It was raining all morning so I still don't know where the light comes in for the plants but I discovered a good reason for parking in the carport. I was wondering what that crashing noise was that I heard last night. Apparently it was some of the rotten branches falling off the trees onto the driveway. There's 15 of them in my front yard alone and my neighbors on both sides have as many. Guess that also explains the bonfire pit out back.

On the brighter side, I have a daffodil blooming in my front yard and I talked to the guy who used to live here today and found out he's not taking away the shed so it's mine to use. You can't have too much dry storage. But this is my favorite discovery today. They put up a clothesline for me while I was "up on the hill." Like everybody, I mostly use the dryer but there's nothing I like better than sheets and towels that have been dried outside. It's a smell thing.

Also on the upside, I discovered the local pizza joint will deliver side of orders of perfectly sauted baby spinach and garlic. The pizza is not bad either and the guy who owns it is a riot on the phone. Very New York and he kept calling me madame. Life could be worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home