Saturday, November 27, 2004

Gifts for $25 or less

I participated in National No Shopping Day yesterday. Frankly, outside of takeout food, most of my days are celebrated the same way. There must be something genetically wrong with me. As my limited wardrobe will attest, I'm a woman who hates shopping. Nonetheless, the reality is it's almost impossible to avoid buying gifts at this time of year. So while I have Christmas shopping on my mind, I have another suggestion to keep you out of the malls. Consider shopping the merchandise stores at drug policy reform sites.

Drugwar.com has an extensive collection of books on every aspect of the War on Some Drugs. I recommend editor Preston Peet's book, Under the Influence, an amazing compilation of fabulous writers who bust the myths surrounding the drug culture. I'd love to find this volume under my tree.

Drug Policy Alliance has a wealth of products in our price range. They even have t-shirts for dogs. I especially urge you to purchase from this site as they have just given up a $200,000 Ford Foundation grant rather than sign a contract that included a constitutionally objectionable clause. They could use the revenue to make up the shortfall in funding.

The Media Awareness Project has something for everyone and their logo is very cool but lowkey. You could buy that tote bag for your grandmother. I wouldn't mind getting one myself.

Meanwhile, The US Marijuana Party has a large array of useful items from t-shirts to stickers. Nothing subtle about their logo but it's really well done. Buy here for those who aren't afraid to wear the leaf with pride.

Change the Climate has a lot in the price range. I love the mouse pad.

NORML also has an extensive collection of practical goods with their logo. There's a funny bumper sticker there, "Honk if you inhale".

Cannabis Culture has a fine book department for the consumer. Interesting cookbook there.

For the young folks on your list, Students for Sensible Drug Policy has an affordable collection of very cool tshirts.

And of course, our friend Pete (who inspired our list today), has a store of his own at Drug WarRant that has some fabulous tshirts and sundry as well.

Finally, I'd like to make a special appeal that you shop at MASS CANN. They were financially wiped out this September when the hurricane destroyed the annual rally on the Boston Common and really need the money. For a donation of only $12 you can get a t-shirt from the rally that wasn't and help save an organization that has done tremendous work in the Commonwealth to promote cannabis reform. And if your budget is tight, their clearance section holds even greater bargains with books and tshirts for under $10. Save money and save MASS CANN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home