Thursday, November 25, 2004

About town

I've got to get out more. I didn't even know Dylan was in town but apparently he was here and was interviewed by 60 Minutes besides while he was staying at the Hotel Northampton. [via]

Meanwhile, I got on the phone so by the time I showered, I missed the warm part of the day. The cold front blew in and it's freezing out there now. I guess I won't get the walk in but while I was talking I noticed my favorite dogs in town live on the other side of the back fence. I've been seeing them a lot on the sidewalk, a mismatched, matched pair. One is a tall skinny greyhound looking dog and the other is this little tiny fluffy thing. The owners always walk them together and somehow the leashes never get tangled. They couldn't be more different looking but they are exactly the same color, a silver and cream brindle. Maybe I'm just easily amused or maybe it's because I can't even match my clothes and I'm impressed by the coordination, but it always makes me smile to see them.

I've been reading the holiday posts on what people are thankful for this afternoon. For myself, I'm thankful every morning when I wake up and find most of the parts are still working. Today however, with the impending move, I find myself more nostalgic than reflective. I leave behind a great job, a great apartment and a whole tribe of amazing and creative friends. It would take a book to tell all the stories.

So, I'm feeling lucky to have had these years while the place was at its peak. I've been fortunate to live so long in such small town camaraderie in a place that embraced my politics and my eccentricities with such fondness. I think I will never be so safe again as I have been here.

Nonetheless, I'm also thankful for the change and happy to be closer to my family. I've been way remiss and it's kind of appropriate timing. Now that the wool is turning silver, the black sheep of the family is coming home to the flock. At least we won't run of things to talk about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home