Friday, October 22, 2004

World News Roundup

Peter Bradley, a Labour MP renewed his call for the Government to reclassify cannabis as a medicine rather than a recreational drug saying, "it would be a
'very small step' and 'the right and compassionate thing to do'."

One of his constituents, a former West Midlands Police undercover drugs squad officer, uses cannabis to alleviate the crippling symptoms of multiple sclerosis. Mr Bradley has highlighted the ex-policewoman's situation and called for the legalisation of medicinal cannabis for the last four years.

In other news, former cabinet minister Peter Lilley explains his robust views on cannabis.

'It's important to have a rational policy and to recognise the difference between soft drugs and hard drugs, between use and abuse and between punishment and treatment,' the former cabinet minister said in Guernsey yesterday.

'Eighty per cent of the war-on-drugs effort is devoted to cannabis. But in my mind, 90% of the effort ought to be on hard drugs.'

....'What I'm proposing is breaking the link between soft drugs like cannabis and harder drugs,' said the MP for Hitchin and Harpenden.


And finally, as predicted, now that the celebrating is over, Cannabis Culture has the story on their own Prince of Pot, Marc Emery's release from jail after serving 62 days of his 92 day sentence.

Marc has been busy giving interviews and reorganzing his troops since his release. He had this to say.

"I am glad to be out of jail and back where I belong," said Emery. "But I expect that I will go to jail again at some point in the future, as I continue to battle this vicious pogrom against our peaceful culture. I learned a great deal while I was in prison. I saw first-hand why our prison system should be abolished. I studied the lives of other freedom-fighters like Malcolm X and Martin Luther King. I have crystallized my ideology and I understand my mission now better than ever before. Nothing will ever stop my devotion to freeing our culture and ending the war on marijuana!"

Welcome home Marc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home