Sunday, August 15, 2004

A mother speaks out

Erin of Parents Ending Prohibition sends in a beautiful story of a MMJ demonstration she and her husband organized at Bush's recent campaign stop in her new home state. Seems they singlehandedly activated a lot of people into holding signs and calling for a end to the war on medical marijuana patients. Not an easy task when the location of Bush's appearance was kept secret until the very last minute. The local press of course were predictably lax, if not downright deceitful in representing the true dimensions and sentiment of the crowd but it sounds like a successful event that can only have done some good to spread the meme. Her account is too long to print here, but until she posts it at her URL, I give you the money quote.

We had 50 signs being held, and still the cameras managed to exclude us. Please help us make sure that the next time, we'll be right up front and in their faces, demanding the simple human dignity of relief from suffering, without facing raids and arrests! My heart aches, everytime I think about what we've given up in this country. Even Orwell wasn't creative enough to envision "Free Speech Zones", and I keep wondering -- isn't America supposed to BE a free speech zone?

Everywhere I go, the one constant I find, is that no one is willing to tell me that they believe their tax dollars would be well spent, by raiding my home and arresting me for using medical marijuana. If we all agree on this, then we must change the laws that demand my arrest, before another precious cent is spent in persecuting me or people like me. Together, we're making a difference.


Erin, a medical marijuana patient, using the herb to control symptoms of the debilitating Crohn's Disease is tiny little woman with great courage and a giant spirit. I have a feeling a movement will soon coalesce around her in the family's new digs and Oregon will never be the same.

Check out their site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home