Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Retroactive

It appears the AARP is trying to redeem itself. I just saw a commercial that was so targeted to the reform audience (read that left leaning 60s liberals) that it made me jump out of my chair to get a closer look. I mean, the image is sock clad feet resting on a coffee table against the backdrop of a old style woodie TV set.

There were cannabis plants filling the rounded corners of the rectangular screen on that set. Being uprooted and taken away. What I found interesting is there was no overt message attached to that. It was swift and neutral.

I think AARP is trying to get our attention and get us to believe they didn't sell their constituency out on the prescription drug legislation. I found the subliminal aspect kind of creepy but I don't think it's entirely negative to have the plant meme planted in the national consciousness.

Still I hope that AARP doesn't think that just because they couldn't fool their elderly members, that they are going to be able to fool the rapidly aging cannabis consuming citizens now. I remember when this organization actually advocated for retired persons rights. That's not true any more.

This is an real example of old line NGOs gone bad. Like GreenPeace and others I won't name at the moment , it's part of the old guard that became seduced by the perks of going along with the system. They all played their part. Some just played out and some sold out but every one contributed to the greater good in some way, even if it was only illusionary.

Or in the words of the inimitable Pete Holiday,

I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home