Sunday, February 08, 2004

SAFETY FIRST

So who woke up one day and said, "I know how to protect our young folks. Let's treat all children who experiment with drugs like criminals, instead of kids who need help, and deny them an education. That'll teach 'em."

Another 29 victims of zero tolerance. Who dreams these policies up? Were they never children or were they perfect? Did they always do what their parents told them to? Of all the harms the prosecution of the 'war on drugs' inflicts, this assault on our young is most grievous.

I mean really, what do the prohibition strategists think children are learning from this except that they can't trust, much less confide in, the authority figures in charge of their lives? But don't take my word for it. As always, the Drug Sense Weekly is worth reading in its entirety, and the feature article is coincidentally right on point.

Leah Rorvig's memory of high school is much more recent than mine.

As someone who just reached the legal drinking age nine months ago, I can tell you firsthand that a high level of surveillance doesn't make young people safer.

...At my high school -- the Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science in Denton, one of the country's few public boarding schools -- we were constantly under the purview of administrators and surveillance cameras. All 400 students followed strictly enforced curfews. We couldn't open our windows without approval, and the screens had stickers designed to reveal any escapes from our high-security dorm. Our rooms were searched randomly with bureaucratic regularity; students suspected of drinking were given Breathalyzer tests. One positive test result or an empty beer can was grounds for immediate expulsion.

...You might think that we were the safest students in north Texas. But you'd be wrong. I knew classmates who drove drunk or high because they had no one to call who could pick them up in time to meet our strict curfew. Instead of opening up an honest dialogue, administrators enforced a strict no-tolerance policy, giving us the impression that we couldn't talk to them about alcohol or other drugs.


Leah is clear on what did bring her comfort and security.

What really would make young people safer -- and what kids sincerely want -- are adults who will listen to them.

...Although I couldn't talk openly with my high school administrators, my father and I had a very trusting relationship. He was always there for me, whether I had questions about drugs or just needed a ride home from a party where there were no designated drivers. That bond made me much safer than any drug test would.


I think that speaks for itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home