Friday, September 26, 2003

IT'S IN THE STARS

I no sooner finished complaining to my dear friend and co-worker Karen that my horoscope never comes true when it says something good is going to happen when something finally did. It had been saying for three days that I would see an old friend that has been missing for a long time. Well, 1 minute and 45 seconds later, I ran into one of my favorite people in the world, Dave Shapiro, best stand up bass jazz player on the eastern seaboard. Dave is the only person who ever asked me to drive around the world. You could really almost do it. We figured out the route on my map, taking into account of course, the Mercator Projection factor. It was good to see you Dave. Hope you're really reading this as you promised....




GOT MY MOJO WORKING

I'm glad I got safely home last night because there was mayhem on the streets of the Commonwealth. The Sox clinched the wild card slot. I'm a lifelong Mets fan but three seasons ago, my dear friend Jamie Snyder pointed out that I could cheer for both teams since they were in different leagues. Accepting the logic, I became a Red Sox fan as well. That's when I found out about the curse.

I love the underdog, it's how I became a Mets fan. When I started cheering for them, the Yankees' fans used to sneer at the name. Come to think of it, they still do and it turns out they also sneer at the Sox so there's a connection of sorts. In any event, I'm ridiculously superstitous about baseball - I have more rituals than Nomar - and I came to realize I could only give my mojo to one team at a time. I developed the Red Sox Theory and decided to promote it for three seasons.

It has to do with the synergy of group belief. They were losing because everyone believed in the curse. I promoted the theory that if you didn't believe in the curse, it would lose it's power. I've been talking this up from the Fenway to the Berkshires for these three years. I saw the Mets through two victories in my lifetime. When they beat the Sox in 88, it was on the slogan - You Gotta Believe - and that's really all it takes. These guys thrive on the energy of the fans.

I hope the theory is taking hold, because I heard a sportscaster call my boys in New York the losingest team in the history of baseball. I think I need to swing my mojo back to my home boys next season.

I think it might all work out though. Smart money was saying the Sox would be too hung over to play well today. I'm the only one at City that thought they would take it tonight.

It's top of the seventh, 1 out, and it 6-2 Boston. I hope they can hold it the lead and I'm going to believe they can.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home