Monday, February 04, 2013

Wonders of nature

I pretty much hate bugs but I do have a slight fondness for praying mantis. Still find them creepy but somehow fascinating. They're so unusual and so rarely seen. I had no idea they come in so many colors and forms. Found this purple guy on facebook today.

And while I was checking to make sure this a real thing and not just a photoshop, I discovered the orchid mantis. Now these are really amazing.

[photo via]

Lots more orchid mantis at this link. They come in so many colors. Like little miracles of nature.

[Photos are better if you click on them to embiggen.]

2 Comments:

At 5:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, they're absolutely lovely! I live in New England so all I've ever seen were the green ones. I especially like the way the first one is perched on the Poppy stem. I have a bunch of those in my yard but have never seen a mantis on any of them.

Thanks so much for passing these pix along!

 
At 2:55 PM , Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey there my anon friend. I lived in New England for most of my life and never saw anything like these. I imagine they're found in more tropical climes.

Thanks for the ongoing encouragement in comments.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home