Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Never forget

Of course, no one who lived through it will ever forget that horrifying day. I was a mess for three days after and I wasn't even in New York. But I remember the shock. I remember the fear for the safety of friends who live in the city. I remember the sinking feeling that the world changed that day forever, and not for the better.

No. We will never forget. And for myself, I will probably never forgive George W. Bush for failing to heed the warnings and for using the chaos of the aftermath to push through an agenda that still works to the detriment of our society today in many ways.

That being said, may those lost on that tragic day rest easy in the Summerlands and may their family and friends find peace.

And as always on this day, I remember my friend, Harry H. McColgan, who spent the night with me because I didn't want to be alone. I used to call him every year but then I found out he had a serious stroke. I don't think he can talk on the phone anymore, but I hope he feels my thoughts and enduring gratitude across the miles for helping me feel safe and comforting me in my inexplicable grief on that sleepless night. [photo via Holly Bailey]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home