Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I've looked at clouds from both sides now

You all know how much I love weather. Always have been fascinated by the wonders of nature. Especially clouds. These are some clouds you don't see every day. In fact I've never seen these before.


Experts say the clouds were pristine examples of "Kelvin-Helmholtz waves." Whether seen in the sky or in the ocean, this type of turbulence always forms when a fast-moving layer of fluid slides on top of a slower, thicker layer, dragging its surface.
More pictures at the link. Believe what you will about climate change, but stuff like this makes me believe something big is happening and we ignore it at our peril.

It's not just clouds either. Weather in general is getting more freaky. Floods, tornados, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions. I know it's a La Nina year and that brings weird weather. But I've been around for a long time now and I don't recall it ever being quite this extreme. Thinking Mother Nature is getting pissed off we're taking her for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home