Friday, September 24, 2010

Little City Life

After working seven days in a row, including the close, open, close shifts at the end, I'm now on my second day off. Still exhausted. But it's back to work tomorrow. Gratefully, my schedule for the next couple of weeks isn't quite so odious but still, the biggest problem with this job is so many short shifts don't generate enough money to pay the bills, but take up more time than a real job. Whether it's a four or an eight hour shift, takes just a much time to get ready and show up and the job is so mind numbing and annoying that you come home tired even if it's a short shift.

This week's biggest big box annoyance is the dress code. Now that everyone has amassed a collection of red and white shirts, they decided they're going to change the dress code to navy blue shirts. Which they didn't announce until the end of the clearance sales, after the good choices for cheap shirts are almost gone. Even better, they're phasing out the red vests they provided for free and going with half aprons that they expect you pay $7.50 for.

They don't even pay that much an hour. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for one. Told the supervisor I'm not going to get one. I'd rather invest in black pants with pockets. Those at least I'll have some use for if I ever find a better job.

Meanwhile, on a lighter note, I see after over a year, they finally rented my old apartment across town. The new tenant, like myself, keeps the blinds up so I could see inside the living room as I drove by the other night. Looks like they have as little furniture as I did, but they do have a much bigger TV.

Glad they rented it though. I hated to think I washed every inch of that place and nobody gets the benefit of it. And I liked the landlord. Glad she's getting some return on the repairs they made when I lived there.

3 Comments:

At 12:40 PM , Blogger rockync said...

Grit your teeth and do what you must to survive but keep looking and sending out those resumes.
Sooner or later a decent job is going to surface.

 
At 12:40 PM , Blogger rockync said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:55 PM , Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That's the plan Rocky. Sadly, there hasn't been anything even worth applying for in the last couple of weeks. Which I guess is just as well since I'm so tired, not sure I could even compose a decent cover letter.

But trusting the universe to provide in its own good time.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home