Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day




Happy Dad's Day to all you fathers out there, with a special shout out to Michael Stickings who just joined the fatherhood yesterday with the birth of his daughter.

This is picture of me and my Dad. I figure, judging by the lack of hair, that I'm about 18 months old in this shot. I don't have a scanner so the quality isn't that great, since it's a photo of a photo but I was thrilled when my mom sent me this one. It's the only photo I have of the two of us from my childhood since all my photos were stolen when I was robbed in Atlanta some years ago.

I won't be seeing him today since we're too many miles apart but I'll be holding him close in my heart, just as I treasure my memories even as far back as this. I have surprisingly vivid memories of this place - our first home. My Dad was so much my hero then, and now. I can remember going to the corner store with him to get the Sunday papers, a tradition we continued long into my pre-teen years. I remember driving in his truck while he made his rounds, either at his worksites and sometimes to visit his workers at home. It's funny, I mostly remember my mother sleeping in those years. It was always my Dad who took me out. He was my whole world and I felt like the center of his universe.

He still makes me feel that way. I never feel safer or more cherished than I do when I'm with him. He's just an ordinary guy really, but he's the best man I've ever known in my entire life. Of all the fathers I could have drawn in the lottery of life, I feel very lucky to have the best Dad ever.

I love you Daddy. Have a great day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home