Saturday, December 31, 2005

Deer in the headlights

As I was leaving the family's hood tonight, I saw a deer in the road. It wasn't a baby but it was young. It was just dusk so I saw it long before I made the turn. When I turned the corner, the headlights spooked it into the brush on the side of the road. It looked to me like he was limping and he just stayed at the edge of the remaining bit of woods between the houses. I stopped the car in the middle of the road and rolled the down the window and talked to him, like I might a puppy. He stood and listened to me for a good couple of minutes. I thought he might really be hurt if he was that docile but when I rolled to the side of the road to put to get out and check, he bounded off and looked okay.

The homestead is on former farmland. I can't help but feel a little sorry for the critters that get displaced by the houses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home