Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Outfoxed

The term painfully honest was probably coined for me. I've been in this moral dilemma all day over this Fox News gig. It finally dawned on me that if I get it, and I help make the blog more successful, I'm essentially aiding and abetting the enemy. I would practically be a sponsor of Bill O'Reilly. So I sent my pitch letter in to the editor anyway, but this is what I said:

It does however occur to me that if I get this gig, I will be helping Fox News, an organization that I consider the very embodiment of what's wrong with the media. No offense intended but I find Fox to be a baby step from becoming a full-blown state run media outlet and I loathe the station's spin. If I make TT money, that means I'm supporting the very thing I'm working against.

Next lifetime I'm going to learn how to be politic. Meanwhile, anyone that was holding their breath waiting for me to get this gig - I think you can exhale now.

Update: I appreciate the support but I see by the comments that I'm making myself look too noble here. I said a lot more than just that, and a lot of it was much nicer. I want the gig and I pitched to get it. I can't think of better place to take my meme than right to the doorstep of those who need it most. And I'd do a good job for them. I'd probably make them money.

It was only when I started entertaining the idea that by some inconceivable chance I might get into this group that I had this moral dilemma. I probably should have said it more delicately but it needed to be said upfront. I was really wrestling with it, as in - am I selling out my principles to get the exposure?

I decided the opportunity to widen my forum was worth the tradeoff but only if I could be that honest with the editor. Besides, following this little fantasy to its end, if I did get a slot, it's not like I would diss Fox on their own site but I have an archive full of posts at DetNews equally "frank" on Fox, falafels and O'Reilly. He would have found out eventually, so I was just being blunt, not brave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home