Monday, August 30, 2004

Morning read

I'm running late this morning so I sending you over to Vice Squad for the morning's news. Everything is worth reading as always but be sure not to miss this story on using already available chemical drugs to treat drug addictions.

While I appreciate the intent of the research, I have to say I find its goals somewhat disturbing. For one thing treating chemical dependency with more chemicals seems a little counterproductive, especially since they are ignoring the emerging data on the herb ibogaine which by all accounts has been tremendously successful in treating addictions and does not require continously taking a drug. I'm also greatly concerned to see marijuana mentioned in the context of addictive drugs requiring such chemical intervention.

Vice Squad also points us to this week's New York Times Book Review on the 9/11 Commission's report. It's long but Jim points out that Judge Richard Posner makes seven of his own recommendations and number six is:

The thousands of federal agents assigned to the ''war on drugs,'' a war that is not only unwinnable but probably not worth winning, should be reassigned to the war on international terrorism..

Thanks to Jim for noticing that I made the same point in yesterday's post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home